LeakBarrier® Self-Adhering Quick Roll Shingle Starter is a glass fiber reinforced, self-adhesive modified bituminous roofing underlayment for use as a shingle starter course. Mineral granules on the upper surface provide protection against weathering from UV.
LeakBarrier Quick Roll Shingle Starter roll is designed to ensure proper shingle alignment when applied to rakes and eaves prior to shingle installation.
Features and Benefits
- Easy to handle 7.2" roll
- Factory controlled characteristics
- Pre-cut design reduces labor cost and waste
- Seal tab provides protection from wind uplift
- Quicker application pace
- Excludes the need for field cutting of three tab or roll roofing products
- Ensures the first course of shingles is started correctly
- 30–day exposure limit
- Quick Roll Shingle Starter rolls must be stored indoors, in a dry location.
- The rolls must be protected from the elements. Do not expose to direct sunlight.
- Store rolls at room temperature. Prolonged exposure to elevated temperatures may reduce the adhesive characteristics of the material.
- Install Quick Roll Shingle Starter only when material interface temperatures (air, deck, material) are 40°F and rising.
- Do not install when any form of moisture such as water, ice, snow, dew, rain, etc. is present.
- Use of a hand-held “hot air gun” might help in enhancing the adhesion during application of underlayment in cooler weather.
- Quick Roll Shingle Starter must be covered with a finished roof covering within the specified exposure time of the product. Refer to the section on Features and Benefits for exposure time.
- Surface must be clean, dry, and without voids, that may interfere with adhesion.
- For re-roofing, all old roofing and other loose materials must be removed prior to installation.
- For best results, surface may be primed with an ASTM D 41 Primer before installation of Quick Roll Shingle Starter. When primer is used, ensure the primer is fully dry prior to application of Quick Roll Shingle Starter.
- Acceptable substrates for adhesion of LeakBarrier membranes can be found at the Tarco website.
- Position the Self-adhering Quick Roll Shingle Starter beginning at the lowest corner of the roof where the rake and eave intersect. Align Self-adhering Quick Roll Shingle Starter so that it is parallel with the edge of the eave and extends over the eave and rake approximately 3/8" with the granular surface up and the seal tab nearest the eave.
- Carefully remove the release film from the back of the roll and apply while pressing firmly into place for good adhesion.
- Apply shingles per shingle manufacturer’s application instructions.
|Property||Typical Values||Reference Test|
|Pliability @ 77°F||Pass||ASTM D228|
|Adhesion to Plywood @ 75°F||15 lbf/ft. of width||ASTM D1970|
|Adhesion to Plywood @ 40°F||2 lbf/ft. of width||ASTM D1970|
|Length||33 ft 4 in|
|Weight||7 lb (nominal)|
|Thickness||56 mil (nominal)|
|Coverage||20 sq ft|
LeakBarrier Self-Adhering Quick Roll Shingle Starter product is warranted to be free from manufacturer's defects.
Note: All statements information and data given herein are believed to be accurate and reliable, but are presented without guaranty, warranty or responsibility of any kind, expressed or implied, except as may be indicated otherwise in this literature.