LeakBarrier© EasyLay™ UDL Basic is a polyolefin-based synthetic underlayment that has excellent resistance to the elements. The material consists of a tough, woven polymeric scrim that provides exceptional strength, and a textured fabric on the topside that provides good traction for the installer.
EasyLay UDL Basic can be used in conjunction with shingles, shake, slate, and tile. Ideal for steep-slope roofing, it can be mechanically attached to several substrates and used in new and re-roofing applications.
Features and Benefits
- Lightweight; Less than 3.5 lbs per square
- More coverage per roll than traditional Felt
- Exceptional strength and durability
- Textured fabric provides good walkability
- Good pliability and low temperature flexibility
- Pre-printed lay lines for easy installation
- Versatile top surface compatible with self-adhering membranes
- Can be left exposed for up to 6 months
- Algae, fungi, and mold resistant; Does not rot or decay
- 100% recyclable
- 30 Year limited warranty
- Meets and/or exceeds ASTM D226
- EasyLay UDL Basic must be stored in a dry location.
- Do not store in a leaning position.
- Rolls must be stored on pallets and not more than one pallet high.
- Do not store rolls in direct sunlight.
- EasyLay Basic shall be installed in strict compliance with applicable Building Code.
- Following Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) safety standards; use common sense measures and adequate precautions to prevent accidents.
- EasyLay Basic is considered a vapor barrier. Proper ventilation is critical. Ensure installation does not interfere with existing ventilation.
- EasyLay UDL Basic shall not be torched or hot mopped to.
- When used in low slope applications (<2:12), EasyLay UDL Basic must be covered the same day. On slopes less than 4:12, a double layer of EasyLay UDL Basic is recommended. Double layer applicationis best achieved by using 19” side laps, making sure the side laps are “shingled in” to shed water.
- Ensure that sharp objects such as debris, stones, bricks, etc. are not dropped on to the EasyLay UDL Basic surface so as to avoid possible cuts or tears.
- Apply a thin coat of asphalt-based roofing cement to areas of EasyLay UDL Basic with any cuts or tears.
- EasyLay UDL Basic is not intended to be used as the primary weather resistant roof covering.
- The substrate shall be clean and dry prior to installing EasyLay UDL Basic.
- For re-roofing, all old roofing and other loose materials must be removed prior to installation.
- Place a full width piece of EasyLay UDL Basic, parallel to the eave (low) edge of the roof.
- Unroll the material 2 to 3 feet and position the end of it to the edge of the eave and rake.
- Install a few fasteners near the rake and roll out the sheet to a manageable length.
- Straighten and align the sheet to eliminate any wrinkles.
- Fasten the sheet using 3/8” headed roofing nails or 1” plastic capped nails, spaced 9” o.c. at all laps and two staggered rows fastened 12” o.c. in the field, or as per applicable Building Code.
- When using 1” diameter nails, apply such that the head of the nail is flush with the sheet surface, without cutting into the sheet.
- Fasten the sheet from the top edge to avoid walking or kneeling on the unsecured portion.
- Align the next sheet over the preceding sheet so as to form a minimum 4” side lap and 8” end lap or as per applicable Building Code.
- Then install the sheet as per instructions above. Install such that the bottom of the second course is over the top of the first course so that any water will flow over the underlayment.
- Stagger the end laps a minimum of 36” (3 feet) from the preceding course.
- Install EasyLay UDL Basic a minimum of 6” up any vertical surfaces.
- EasyLay UDL Basic used in valley areas must be covered with metal or other valley liners.
- Seams or joints that require adhesive or sealant can be treated with plastic cement.
- Prime all metal collars, flashings, valley liners and drip edges with an ASTM D41 Primer.
- Flash vent pipes, stacks, chimneys, and penetrations in compliance with applicable codes.
|Property||Typical Value||Reference Test|
|Tensile strength, lbf||160||ASTM D1682|
|Tear resistance, lbf||45||ASTM D4533|
|Pliability at 23 0C||Pass||ASTM D226|
|Liquid Water Transmission||Pass||ASTM D4869|
|Water vapor transmission, perms||0,10||ASTM E96|
|Accelerated Aging||Pass||ICC AC 188|
|Algae & fungus resistance, Rank 0 - 4||0 (no growth)||ASTM G21 / D3273|
|Ultraviolet Exposure||Pass||ICC AC 188|
|Outdoor exposure||No changes after 6 months||Visual|
|Width||4 ft. (1.219m)|
|Length||250 ft. (72.2m)|
|Thickness||10 mil (nominal)|
|Gross Coverage||1,000 sq. ft. (10 sq.)|
|Weight||32 lbs. (nominal)|
|Rolls per Pallet||36|
Tarco Specialty Products, Inc. offers 30 Year Limited Material Warranty.
Note: All statements, information and data, given herein are believed to be accurate and reliable but are presented without guaranty, warranty or responsibility of any kind, expressed or implied, except as may be indicated otherwise in this literature.