LeakBarrier EasyMop SBS is a Styrene-Butadiene-Styrene modified bituminous membrane for use in low slope and steep slope roofing applications. EasyMop SBS has a durable, granular surface that protects against weathering caused by ultraviolet exposure. The membrane is reinforced with a polyester mat that offers exceptional strength and excellent nail pull-through resistance. The bottom side has a light coating of mineral release material that offers versatility in the method of installation.
LeakBarrier EasyMop SBS membrane is designed for use as a cap sheet in new roofing and re-roofing multi-ply applications, and is ideally suited for use as an underlayment in tile roofing systems. It is an excellent choice for repair of asphalt built-up membranes and can also be used as a flashing material. EasyMop SBS can be installed utilizing hot mopping asphalt or cold process adhesives.
Features and Benefits
- Specially formulated SBS compound gives lasting performance
- Polymer modified asphalt gives excellent pliability and puncture resistance
- Reinforced with a strong 190 g/m2 polyester mat
- Fiberglass reinforcing yarns in the polyester impart dimensional stability
- Exceptional tensile and tear strengths, and high elongation
- Superior UV performance
- Exceptional nail pull-through resistance
- Granular surface provides good walkability
- Excellent granule adhesion as well as granule coverage
- Perfectly suited surface for foam attachment of tiles
- Can stack tiles without any surface damage
- Self-seals around nails
- Membrane lays flat and resists wrinkling
- Meets ASTM D6164 and relevant Dade County test protocols
- Meets UL Classification requirements for Roof Covering Materials in installation of Class A, B and C built-up and modified bitumen roofing systems
- Store rolls in a dry location, protected from the elements.
- Store rolls upright.
- Do not store rolls in direct sunlight for prolonged time.
- Double stacking of pallets is not recommended.
- Install EasyMop SBS in strict compliance with applicable Building Code.
- Follow Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) safety standards; use common sense measures and adequate precautions to prevent accidents.
- Keep EasyMop SBS clean and free of moisture prior to installation.
- Do not install when any form of moisture such as water, ice, snow, dew, rain, etc. is present.
- Ensure roof has proper slope and drainage prior to installation. The roof must meet Tarco’s minimum slope requirements.
- Proper ventilation is critical. When applying over the entire roof deck in steep slope applications, roofing system must provide sufficient ventilation.
- The substrate shall be clean and dry prior to installing EasyMop SBS.
- Verify suitability of the substrate before application of EasyMop SBS.
- Begin installation at the low point of the roof. Design roof layout so that no laps are against the flow of water.
- Unroll the EasyMop SBS membrane and allow it to relax.
- Reroll the membrane halfway from one end, align it so as to eliminate wrinkles and keep the sheet even with the roof edge.
- Install using hot asphalt or modified bitumen adhesive (solvent-free or low solvent) of a proper type for SBS membrane application. Follow applicable NRCA guidelines and adhesive manufacturer’s instructions.
- Asphalt must be ASTM D312 Type III or Type IV as appropriate for the roof slope, heated to a temperature of no less than 400°F for Type III and 425°F for Type IV. Maintain the equiviscous temperature of the mopping asphalt at all times. Do not apply mopping asphalt more than 4' in front of the roll in order to maintain optimum embedment and bonding conditions. In cold weather, add 25°F to the minimum recommended asphalt temperatures.
- Unroll the remainder of the roll and continue installation.
- Align the next roll over the preceding sheet so as to form a minimum 4" side lap and a minimum 6" end lap or as per applicable Building Code.
- Stagger the end laps a minimum of 36" (3') from the preceding course.
- Ensure the asphalt mopping is uniformly minimum 25 lb. per square, and covers the entire under surface of the EasyMop SBS membrane. If using modified bitumen adhesive, follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions and ensure the entire underside of the EasyMop SBS membrane is set in a uniform application of the adhesive.
- On slopes >2:12, back nail the membrane in place using a minimum 1" metal capped nails for hot asphalt application, or 1" plastic or metal capped nails for cold process application, spaced minimum 9" o.c. at all laps in the center of the seam area, or as per applicable Building Code.
- Apply pressure on the entire installed membrane surface with a broom to eliminate wrinkles or voids.
Special Considerations When Using EasyMop SBS as a Tile Underlayment
- Install membrane over ASTM D312 Type IV asphalt, heated to a temperature of no less than 425°F. Maintain the equiviscous temperature of the mopping asphalt at all times. Do not apply mopping asphalt more than 4' in front of the roll in order to maintain optimum embedment and bonding conditions. In cold weather application, add 25° F to the minimum recommended asphalt temperature. Ensure the asphalt mopping is uniformly applied at a rate of 20 to 40 lb. per square, and covers the entire under surface of the EasyMop SBS membrane.
- In applications where EasyMop SBS is mechanically attached directly to the substrate, secure the sheet with a minimum of 3/8" headed roofing nails or 1" metal capped nails, spaced minimum 9" o.c. at all laps in the center of the seam area, and two staggered rows fastened minimum 12" o.c. in the field, or as per applicable Building Code.
- When applying material in valleys, start at the low point and work to the high point. In valleys, before applying horizontal sections of the material, install vertical sections down the center.
- Care should be taken during the tile loading procedure to keep foot traffic to a minimum.
- Avoid dropping the tiles directly on the membrane.
- All tiles shall be staged two tiles perpendicular to slope and four tiles on top parallel to slope, not to exceed 6-high, to the standard maximum roof pitch of 5:12 for flat tiles and 6:12 for lugged tiles. At roof slopes greater than the above limitations, the use of loading battens or toe boards are required to load the roof tile.
|Property||Typical Value||Test Method|
|Load at 73.4° F||55 lbf/in||ASTM D6164|
|Elongation at 73.4° F||35%||ASTM D6164|
|Load at 0° F||70 lbf/in||ASTM D6164|
|Elongation at 0° F||20%||ASTM D6164|
|Tear strength at 73.4° F||55 lbf||ASTM D6164|
|Low temperature flexibility||-13° F||ASTM D5147|
|Dimensional stability||0.5% max.||ASTM D5147|
|Granule adhesion||<0.75 grams loss||ASTM D5147|
|Tile Slippage Resistance||Pass||Dade TAS104|
|Tensile Adhesion (Long-Term Aging)||Pass||ICC AC152|
|Accelerated Weathering (1000 hours)||Pass||ASTM D4798|
|Thickness||120 mil (nominal)|
|Gross Coverage||108 sq ft|
|Weight||75 lb (nominal)|
|Rolls per Pallet||25|
EasyMop SBS is warranted to be free from manufacturer’s defects.
All statements, information and data given herein are believed to be accurate and reliable but are presented without guaranty, warranty or responsibility of any kind, expressed or implied, except as may be indicated otherwise in this literature.