LeakBarrier EasyBase™is a premium, SBS modified, glass fiber reinforced, self-adhesive modified bituminous base sheet for use in most low slope and steep slope roof system applications. LeakBarrier EasyBase is a perfect alternative to the application of roofing using conventional application methods of torching, hot asphalt mopping, or using cold applied adhesives.
LeakBarrier EasyBase is designed as base sheet for self-adhering membrane systems. EasyBase is also an ideal base sheet for torch, hot mop and cold applied conventional applications.
Features and Benefits
- Multiple uses as base sheet for self-adhered, torched, hot mopped and cold applied applications.
- No specific tools required. Clean, easy to handle, peel and stick self-adhering application.
- No fumes during application, eliminating odors caused by adhesives and hot asphalt.
- 30-40% quicker installation than conventional application.
- Ultraviolet resistant polyolefinic film surface.
- Glass fiber reinforcement ensures exceptional dimensional stability.
- ASTM standard – ASTM D4601
- Meets and/or exceeds the applicable sections of ASTM D6163 and ASTM D1970 specifications.
- 30 day exposure limit.
- ICC-ES ESR-3297.
- Miami-Dade County Approved NOA No. 12-0703.06 and 12-0703.05.
- Florida Building Code Approved - FL 9487-R2.
- Texas Department of Insurance Approval RC-152.
- UL classified (R13228) for use in class A and B roofs (EasyBase FR version).
- EasyBase rolls must be stored indoors, in a dry location.
- Boxes must be stored on end only. Do not store in a leaning position.
- The rolls must be protected from the elements. Do not expose rolls to direct sunlight.
- Store rolls at room temperatures. Prolonged exposure to elevated temperatures may reduce the adhesive characteristics of the membrane.
- Install EasyBase only when material interface temperatures (air, deck, material) are 40° F and rising.
- Do not install when any form of moisture such as water, ice, snow, dew, rain, etc. is present.
- Ensure roof has proper slope and drainage prior to installation. The roof must meet Tarco’s minimum slope requirements.
- Proper ventilation is critical. When applying over the entire roof deck, the roofing system must provide sufficient ventilation, including both ridge and soffit venting.
- A full, irreversible adhesion is achieved when the membrane goes through a complete heat cycle. Do not attempt to remove the membrane immediately after adhesion to the substrate.
- Use of a hand-held “hot air gun” might help in enhancing adhesion during application of membrane in cooler weather.
- EasyBase must be covered with a finished roof covering within the specified exposure time of the product. Refer to section on Features and Benefits for exposure times.
- Surface must be clean, dry, and without voids, that may interfere with adhesion.
- For re-roofing, all old roofing and other loose materials must be removed prior to installation.
- Acceptable substrates for adhesion of LeakBarrier membranes can be found at the Tarco website.
- For best results, surface may be primed with an ASTM D 41 Primer prior to installation of EasyBase. When primer is used, ensure the primer is fully dry prior to application of EasyBase.
- If EasyBase is left exposed for more than 30 days, the EasyBase surface must be primed prior to installation of a self-adhesive membrane.
- Cut the EasyBase roll to suitable, manageable lengths before installation.
- Position the pre-cut EasyBase beginning at the lowest corner of the roof where the eave (gutter edge) and rake (rising edge) intersect.
- Align EasyBase so that it is parallel with the edge of the eave and extend over the eave and rake approximately 3/8".
- Starting at the middle and extending to one end of EasyBase, drive securing nails in 18" centers in the side lap area, 1½" from the edge. Do not drive the nails all the way in.
- Backroll the unsecured portion of the roll up the middle where the first securing nail is driven.
- Apply a 1/16" thick layer of asphalt plastic cement over the eave and rake metal drip edges extending 2" to 3" onto the deck surface where the roll will intersect.
- Carefully remove the release film the full width of the sheet and apply the EasyBase membrane firmly into place as it is being applied, taking care to avoid wrinkling or creasing of the roll.
- Remove the securing nails from the other half of EasyBase, backroll and apply in like manner.
- On slopes greater than 2:12, drive nails flush in the selvage area 1½" from the edge on 18" centers, after EasyBase has been applied and prior to the next overlapping course.
- Apply the next eave course in the same manner overlapping the first course at the end lap by 6".
- Apply full roll width, a 1/16" thick layer of asphalt plastic cement to the surface of the first course in the 6" end lap area before adhering the next course.
- Lap the succeeding course over the side lap for minimum 3".
- Apply succeeding courses in like manner, as in steps above.
- Stagger the end laps a minimum 3' from the preceding course.
- At the T-Joint (where an end lap and next overlapping course intersect), apply a bead of asphalt plastic cement before the overlapping course is laid.
- Roll the entire membrane surface, paying special attention to side laps, end laps and T-joints. Roller weight shall be 70 lb. minimum for low slope (≤ 2:12 pitch) and 28 lb. minimum for steep slope (> 2:12 pitch).
|Property||Typical Value||Reference Test|
|Max. Load @ 0° F, MD & XMD||75 lbf/in.||ASTM D6163|
|Elongation @ 0° F, MD & XMD||2%||ASTM D6163|
|Max. Load @ 73.4° F, MD & XMD||35 lbf/in.||ASTM D6163|
|Elongation @ 73.4° F, MD & XMD||10%||ASTM D6163|
|Tear Strength @ 73.4° F||35 lbf||ASTM D6163|
|Low Temperature Flexibility||0°F||ASTM D6163|
|Dimensional Stability||0.5% max.||ASTM D6163|
|Compound Stability @ 215° F||Pass||ASTM D6163|
|Adhesion to Plywood @ 40° F||2 lbs/ft. of width||ASTM D1970|
|Adhesion to Plywood @ 75° F||20 lbs/ft. of width||ASTM D1970|
|Thickness||54 mil (nominal)|
|Gross Coverage||216 sq ft|
|Weight||66 lb (nominal)|
EasyBase is warranted to be free from manufacturer’s defects.
Note: All statements, information and data, given herein are believed to be accurate and reliable, but are presented without guaranty, warranty or responsibility of any kind, expressed or implied, except as may be indicated otherwise in this literature.