LeakBarrier® EasyTorch™ SA Base is a self-adhesive, smooth surfaced, glass fiber reinforced, modified bituminous roofing membrane designed for use as a base sheet in low slope and steep slope roofing applications. EasyTorch SA Base is a cost-effective membrane that serves as a perfect alternative to traditional mechanically attached base plies but has the features and benefits of premium self-adhesive base sheets. EasyTorch SA Base is an integral component of the LeakBarrier EasyTorch APP System consisting of EasyTorch APP Smooth and EasyTorch APP Granular membranes.
LeakBarrier EasyTorch SA Base is specifically designed for use as a torch-on base sheet for APP membranes.
Features and Benefits
- Multiple uses as base sheet for torched, hot mopped and cold-applied applications.
- No specific tools required for installation.
- Clean, easy to handle, self-adhering application.
- No open flames or torches.
- No fumes during application, eliminating odors caused by hot asphalt or adhesive.
- Watertight laps.
- Lays flat – does not wrinkle.
- Glass fiber reinforcement ensures exceptional dimensional stability.
- Split-back release film peels off for easy installation and handling.
- Adheres to a variety of substrates.
- Packaged in paper wrappers. No bulky (empty) boxes to dispose of.
- 30-40% quicker installation than conventional applications.
- Serves as a temporary roof.
- Can be left exposed for up to 30 days.
- ASTM standard – ASTM D4601
- Meets ASTM D1970 and D6163 (applicable sections).
- Florida Building Code FL 14672-R1
- Store EasyTorch SA Base rolls indoors, in a dry location.
- Rolls must be stored on ends only. Do not store in a leaning position.
- Rolls must be protected from the elements. Do not expose to direct sunlight.
- Store rolls at room temperature. Prolonged exposure to elevated temperatures may reduce the adhesive characteristics of the membrane.
- Install EasyTorch SA Base only when material interface temperatures (air, deck, material) are 40°F and rising.
- Do not install when any form of moisture such as water, ice, snow, dew, rain, etc. is present.
- Ensure roof has proper drainage prior to installation./li>
- Proper ventilation is critical. When applying over the entire roof deck, the roofing system must provide sufficient ventilation, including both ridge and soffit venting.
- A full, irreversible adhesion is achieved when the underlayment goes through a complete heat cycle. Do not attempt to remove the underlayment immediately after adhesion to the substrate.
- Use of a hand-held “hot air gun” might help in enhancing the adhesion during application of underlayment in cooler weather.
- EasyTorch SA Base must be covered with a finished roof covering within the specified exposure time of the product. Refer to the section on Features and Benefits for exposure time.
- Surface must be clean, dry, and without voids that may interfere with adhesion.
For re-roofing, all old roofing and other loose materials must be removed prior to installation.
Acceptable substrates for adhesion of LeakBarrier membrane can be found at the Tarco website.
For best results, surface may be primed with an ASTM D41 Primer before installation of EasyTorch SA Base. When primer is used, ensure the primer is fully dry prior to application of sheet.
- Cut EasyTorch SA Base roll to suitable, manageable lengths before installation.
- Place a full width piece of the pre-cut sheet on the substrate, parallel to the eave edge of the roof.
- Align the sheet so that it is parallel with the edge of the eave and extend over the eave and rake approximately 3/8”.
- Fold back the sheet, and remove the exposed release film, taking care not to displace the sheet.
- Working from the center out, roll the sheet onto the substrate, taking care to avoid wrinkles and ridges. Sheet must be set straight. Repeat this process for the remaining half of the sheet.
- Starting at the middle and extending to one end of the sheet, drive securing nails in 18” centers in the side lap area, 1 ½” from the edge. Do not drive the nails all the way in.
- Backroll the unsecured portion of the roll up the middle where the first securing nail is driven.
- Apply a 1/16” thick layer of roofing lap cement over the eave and rake metal drip edges extending 2” to 3” onto the deck surface where the roll will intersect.
- Remove the securing nails from the other half of the sheet, backroll and apply in like manner.
- On slopes greater than 2:12, drive nails flush in the selvage area 1 ½” from the edge on 18” centers, after sheet has been applied and prior to the next overlapping course.
- Apply the next eave course in the same manner overlapping the first course at the end lap by 6”.
- Lap the succeeding course over the lap area.
- Apply succeeding courses in like manner, as in steps above.
- Stagger the end laps a minimum 3’ from the preceding course.
- At the T-Joint (where an end lap and next overlapping course intersect), apply a bead of roofing lap cement before the overlapping course is laid.
- Roll the entire surface with a weighted roller, paying special attention to side laps, end laps, and T-joints. Roller weight shall be 70-lb minimum for low slope (≤2:12 pitch) and 28-lb minimum for steep slope (>2:12 pitch).
|Property||Typical Value||Reference Test|
|Max. Load @ 0° F, MD & XMD||70 lbf/in.||ASTM D6163|
|Elongation @ 0° F, MD & XMD||2%||ASTM D6163|
|Max. Load @ 73.4° F, MD & XMD||30 lbf/in.||ASTM D6163|
|Elongation @ 73.4° F, MD & XMD||6%||ASTM D6163|
|Tear Strength @ 73.4° F||160 lbf||ASTM D6163|
|Low Temperature Flexibility||0°F||ASTM D6163|
|Dimensional Stability||1% max.||ASTM D6163|
|Compound Stability @ 215° F||Pass||ASTM D6163|
|Adhesion to Plywood @ 40° F||2 lbs/ft. of width||ASTM D1970|
|Adhesion to Plywood @ 75° F||12 lbs/ft. of width||ASTM D1970|
|Slip Resistance||Pass||ASTM D1970|
|Thickness||50 mil (nominal)|
|Gross Coverage||216 sq. ft.|
|Weight||70 lbs. (nominal)|
LeakBarrier EasyTorch SA Base is warranted to be free from manufacturer’s defects.